Subject: w.r.t. a "registration service"

> The bindings group specification will provide guidelines for creating a
> protocol binding or profile, but we also need to point to some form of
> registration service.
>
> How can we take this forward? Is OASIS wiling to host a registry?

It seems to me that such a "registration service" already exists, and is
"organization neutral" -- http://www.iana.org/ (The Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority).

If one carefully peruses the links and linked-to docs on
http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm, it is clear that IANA is maintaining
registrations for a plethora of orgs, not just the IETF. E.g...

  http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/enterprise-numbers
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers
  http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/languages/
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/osi-nsapa-numbers
  http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/public-data-network-numbers
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/sun-rpc-numbers
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/x25-type-numbers

Since this registry is apparently already established, available, and funded, it
makes sense for us to at least investigate using it rather than establishing yet
another.

I've sent some mail to the IANA folks asking them to clarify their
"organizational neutrality" (that's my term, not theirs, tho I think it'd be a
good thing for them to adopt it or something like it in their tag lines) and
I'll pass on whatever I find out.

JeffH

ps: those with sharp eyes may notice that the above list is essentially all
about numbers and wonder "what about IANA managing protocol binding/profile
listings". There are two apropos examples: SASL mechanisms, and BEEP Parameters
(aka "Profiles & Features")...

  BEEP Parameters
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/beep-parameters

  SIMPLE AUTHENTICATION AND SECURITY LAYER (SASL) MECHANISMS
  http://www.iana.org/assignments/sasl-mechanisms