Subject: Assertions and query architecture proposal

I submit a document, draft-orchard-assertion-proposal-01.doc to the TC.
It's by no means complete, but it's best to start the ball rolling with a
concrete proposal.

I used much from the current assertions draft, and created some examples
based upon PHB's examples.  I also cleaned up some of the syntactic errors
in the schemas.  The schemas and examples in this document are valid,
potentially this is a milestone for SAML.  This would have been much easier
if a complete xml schema had been provided.  The examples and schemas may
look longer than the ones listed in the assertions proposal and the
examples, partially because my proposal is fully namespace qualified and
validates.

The motivation for this work is that after much time on S2ML and SAML, I
still don't understand the work on claims, bindings, objects, roles, and how
they relate to assertions.  I found the assertions structure difficult to
understand and counter-intuitive.  I have been pushing for top-typing and
use of XML Queries, so I also wanted a concrete proposal. The areas of
extensibility are defined in the proposal.  This proposal also shows some
expected extensions, but I didn't have time to create use-cases and
requirements for them.

Having said that, I am finding some aspects of PHB's design to be subtle and
elegent, particularly the combination of assertions and assertion queries.
At the least, I understand the motivation for some of the constructs better.

Dave Orchard
XML Architect
Jamcracker Inc.,    19000 Homestead Dr., Cupertino, CA 95014
p: 408.864.5118     m: 604.908.8425    f: 408.725.4310

www.jamcracker.com - Sounds like a job for Jamcracker.

draft-orchard-assertion-proposal-01.doc