Subject: Using attributes

Title: RE: CORE draft 0.7 plus examples
Since we are getting down to syntax, what use do we want to make of attributes? We have a number of options:

1) Encode everything in elements in the manner of SOAP

2) Encode everything as an attribute if it has no internal structure.

3) Variations of both.

If we are going for (3) then I would like to suggest that the following are attributes:

Basic Information:
    Version, AssertionID, IssueInstant, Issuer, RequestID
    [NotBefore, NotOnOrAfter]

Permissions, instead of the permissions list structure I would like to have a sequence of attributes:
    <Permissions Permit="Read" Permit="Write" Permit="Delete"
        Permit="http://someextension.test/sss">

The other issue I am trying to work on is which of the umpteen different ways of defining XML schemas to use. I not that Dave sometimes introduces abstract types, other times does not. This has implications for extensibility, quite what those implications are is not so clear to me.

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.
pbaker@verisign.com