Subject: RE: composition of AssertionID (Issue: DS-4-04: URIs for Assertio nIDs)

Jeff Hodges wrote,
> The research I did indicates that it is questionable whether
> it is a good idea
> to simply use a URL-style URI as shown above and consider the
> "problem solved".

Yes, but it seems to me that 2/3 of these problems go away if you assume
global (intergalactic) uniqueness. I further assert that half of the
remainder go away if you write strict rules for forming and comparing them
for identity.

This IMO leaves a managable remainder to deal with.

> > I assume if you ask for an Assertion identified only by ID,
> you will get
> > that one or an error.
>
> Part of the question is "to whom do you address the
> request?". If the answer is
> "you figure it out from stuff within the AssertionID", then I
> claim we're
> (perhaps needlessly) overloading the semantics of
> AssertionID.

I think we have already have agreed that various things in SAML need to be
administratively configured, based on out of band agreement, so I don't see
a problem with doing the same for the location of authorities.

I am equally comfortable with an 1) issuer dns name and a unique integer or
2) an UUID, but such things are unfashionable. (As someone who was at
various times an expert on DCE and SET, I understand the need to follow
technology fashions or be left talking to yourself. ;-)

Regards,

Hal