Subject: RE: composition of AssertionID (Issue: DS-4-04: URIs for Assertio nIDs)

Eve wrote,
> Sorry to be slow, I'm not sure I understand "2/3 of the
> problems go away if
> you assume global (intergalactic) uniqueness."  Are you saying that a
> simplifying assumption can be made that all such URIs used as
> assertion IDs
> *are* unique, without testing?

Sorry, I meant to write "2/3 of the problems go away if you assume global
(intergalactic) uniqueness is the only requirement. In other words that not
only can you not dereference the URI, but that its components have no
particular meaning.

> Hey, I'm willing to consider ideas that seem unfashionable!
> :-)  It has
> been suggested that XML and URIs go together like PB&J, but
> if we're not
> anticipating *retrieving* an assertion by means of its unique
> URI, then I
> believe it's probably better to use something else.

I assume you mean retrieving an assertion by dereferencing the URI.

We certainly want to be able to request "the assertion with the ID of X"
whether or not X is a URI. That's what started this discussion.

Hal