Subject: RE: URIs as general-purpose identifiers, and identifiers in gener al

The existing URN working group has been working on this topic for several
years and has pretty much come to completion on the technical issues, the
main problem being considered at present is managing new applications after
the working group closes.

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/urn-charter.html

The confusion has existed in Web land for at least nine years, there have
always been two camps, those that think that a URN 'should' be a better
locator with an extra level of indirection that solves all the problems and
those like myself who consider better locators to still be URLs and that
URNs are what Sebok's classification calls names - signs that do not have a
systematic relationship to the signified.

In the URN group the third time arround my side finaly won. NAPTR records
MAY be used to support new resolution schemes but a URN does not have to
support resolution.

The reason for allowing a choice of internal structure is that it allows
layered specifications (e.g. the sessions protocol or XTASS meta-assertions)
to refer to intervals of identifiers.

	Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist