Subject: DTD design methodology

In the later part of today's telecon, I briefly described the DTD design
methodology I use, and Jeff asked me to tell people where they can get more
information about it.  I co-wrote a book on this subject a few years back;
it's about SGML, not XML, but pretty much all the info there still applies:

   http://xml.coverpages.org/malerTOC01.html

The specialized notation we use in that book doesn't exactly match the
UML-style class diagram notation that Dave has been using, and it doesn't
account for the new features of XML schema languages (type hierarchies,
namespaces, strong datatyping), but it's still useful for talking about the
configuration and cardinality of elements and attributes.  However, note
that Dave and I are meeting to see if we can converge to a single notation
as we take our proposals forward.

	Eve
--
Eve Maler                                             +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Development  eve.maler @ east.sun.com