Subject: RE: Contradictory requirements?

Tim,

an attempt has been made to address some of the issues in the bindings
document.

Briefly, support for intermediaries is a property of a specific profile or
protocol binding.
The web browser profile, for example, does not permit any intermediaries:
users MUST transit directly from an AP to a RP and the token semantics are
specific to (AP, RP) pairs.

Those profiles/bindings that permit the use of (untrusted) intermediaries
must explain
how the assertions are protected against misuse through tampering or
impersonation. In some cases, confidentiality may also be required and this
generates another level of
requirement on the profile/binding.

In the SOAP profile, for example, intermediaries are permitted. The concept
of
attachment integrity of assertions is introduced precisely to support an
end-to-end
security model (only the original "holder" of the assertions could have
attached them
to the document). This still leaves the question of confidentiality open:
until we have
the XML-encryption specification in hand, we cant mandate the use of
encryption just for
assertion elements.

I am not sure we need to worry about "trusted" intermediaries. My thinking
would
be that all "interesting" intermediaries are untrusted. Maybe the language
of [R-Confidentiality] needs to be revised.

- prateek