Subject: RE: UDDI AG meeting and SAML: SAML in UDDI and XQuery subsets.

If I've misunderstood the terms of the Agreement for UDDI Advisors or what
is considered confidential, I apologize.  I am certainly aware of the
confidentiality obligations, and have every intention of honoring them.  I
don't believe that I did violate them in this case, but and glad to discuss
it with you if you think I've disclosed anything inappropriately. I
certainly did not give out any Unpublished Specifications that the UDDI WG
gave to me, like schedules, requirements, etc.  I mostly articulated what I
had said to people.  The information that I disclose to UDDI WG members is
non-exclusive and I chose to disclose some of it to SAML.  BTW, I suggest
that in the future, UDDI documents contain an appropriate confidentiality
legend.

I said very little about what was disclosed to me, and I did not understand
them to be confidential.  The only 2 statements I made about what UDDI WG
members said were your desire for clear SSO use cases and that Chris Kurt
was interested in subsetting XQuery.   I did not state any opinion of yours
wrt my proposal for model extensions.  Given that you've restated your
concern and desires on use cases to a wider forum, it seems that that isn't
confidential information.  My goal was and continues to get better
co-operation between group specifications like SAML, UDDI, W3C XQuery, W3C
canonicalization, and others.

I believe your response to my SAML post is inappropriately cross-posted.  If
or when I'd like to propose ideas to UDDI on Security, I'd like to structure
it in a way that I'm comfortable with.  In the interest of both of us
working together so that we can continue to advance our professional
objectives, I suggest that if you have concerns like the ones raised, that
you raise them with me first as a courtesy, and give me the opportunity to
respond.  I agree to extend the same courtesy to you.

I regret that you feel I have somehow misrepresented you by taking your
statements out of context. To a certain extent, I've had to take things out
of context.  The UDDI meeting was 1 1/2 days, with about 20 minutes of it
relevent to SAML.  That's a lot of context.  I certainly did not intend to
misrepresent your views.  I was informing the SAML working group what I
thought I could about the relationship between SAML and UDDI in planning for
the SAML work.  Again, I made no claims about what you said wrt my proposal
for model extensions, simply that I had made a suggestion to you.  Nor did I
say whether I had lobbied for this to the UDDI AG or WG.  I have been
thinking of writing a UDDI best practices for this modelling of security
aspects of business entities and services, but I think that's a very
distinct and discrete thread from this one.  If you still feel that my
statements were inappropriate and misrepresented you, I would be glad to
discuss this with you.

Finally, despite this misunderstanding, I think we're in complete agreement
wrt use cases.  I agree that having use cases is important before
determining requirements, and have been known to publicly state that, such
as at the UDDI AG meeting.  Perhaps a formal SAML response to UDDI V3 call
for requirements would be useful.  Given that Verisign, IBM, HP, Sun are
significantly placed in SAML and UDDI, it seems that there is reason for
hope in that regard.

Dave Orchard
XML Architect
Jamcracker Inc.,    19000 Homestead Dr., Cupertino, CA 95014
p: 408.864.5118     m: 604.908.8425    f: 408.725.4310

www.jamcracker.com - Sounds like a job for Jamcracker.