Subject: Re: ..the notorious bearer subject..

    TM> Evan - To my mind, anonymity and authentication method are
    TM> separate issues.

Absolutely. But I don't see "bearer" as an "authentication method."
I suspect we have different ideas about what "authentication" means.

Are you using "authentication method" to mean, "how the relying party
determines that an assertion really applies to some subject"?

    TM> It is possible for an anonymous individual to be strongly
    TM> authenticated, not merely through possession of a bearer
    TM> token.

OK, well, I guess I'm a little confused, then. We're talking about the
"bearer" option that appears in multiple places on the whiteboard from
F2F3, right?

    TM> On the other hand, it is possible for a uniquely-identifiable
    TM> individual to be authenticated through a bearer token.

I'm having a hard time seeing how that one works. I guess I thought of
the "bearer" in most of the diagrams as being XOR'd from any other
identity.

    TM> So, I think bearer tokens are only as applicable in the
    TM> anonymous case as they are in all other cases.

OK. I guess I was seeing it as replacing the subject in some
assertions. For de-identified* subjects, I guess there are a few other
ways of specifying the subject besides "bearer" (e.g., holder-of-this-key).

~ESP

* I can't remeber if we are using this term or not.

--
Evan Prodromou, Senior Architect        eprodromou@securant.com
Securant Technologies, Inc.             415-856-9551