Subject: RE: ..the notorious bearer subject..

Title: RE: ..the notorious bearer subject..

Hi Evan,

(I'll respond on Tim's behalf, since he's out of the office this week...)

Yes.

An example of this is the "holder-of-key" option.  This option effectively says, "anyone who can prove possession of the private key corresponding to the public key contained in this token (e.g., through a challenge-response protocol) is the subject/holder/owner/etc. of this token."  If no name or identifying information is present in the token, then the subject is strongly authenticated even though s/he is anonymous.  This has nothing to do with possession of a bearer token.

An example of this is a token that has a name or other identifier in the subject element, but contains no "authenticator" (or whatever we have decided to call it) element.  In this case, an individual is uniquely identified, but anyone who happens to hold/present the token is assumed to be that individual (i.e., presentation of this bearer token is effectively the "authentication" step).  This is a generalization of the cookie model, where presentation of the cookie effectively means that this browser showing up at my door now is the one to which I originally gave the cookie.

Tim's only point was that since you can have anonymity with or without authentication, and authentication with or without anonymity, these concepts must be separate.

Carlisle.