Subject: RE: draft-sstc-core-10 sec 1.4.4.2 Element <Evidence>

All,

	Michah's questions were usefull in leading me to the following
description of the <Evidence> element. Note that the semantics of <Evidence>
are NOT those of <Advice> since the inclusion of evidence DOES affect the
reliance model and cannot be ignored.

	Another way the same issue could be addressed is with Marlena's
ValidityDependsUpon condition that we nixed a while back. However that does
not capture the precise semantics either since in this case it is not the
Validity of the assertion but the Truthfulness of the assertion that is the
issue.

		Phill (who has one sub section left to write!)

The <Evidence> element specifies a set of assertions that the issuer relied
upon in issuing the assertion.
The statement of an assertion as evidence MAY affect the reliance agreement
between the client and service. For example in the case that the client
presented an assertion to the service in a request the service MAY use that
assertion as evidence in making its response without endorsing the assertion
as valid either to the client or any third party.
The following schema defines the <Evidence> element:
	<element name="Evidence" type="saml:AssertionSpecifierType"/>

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.
pbaker@verisign.com