Subject: Version and Namespace issues

All,

1) Version number
	Should this be a number or a string?
	Should there be any requirement for applications to take notice of
it (i.e. standard upgrade semantics, 1.1 extends 1.0, 2.0 is incompatible)
	Should the version be the schema string?

	The fact that Chris used the schema string is leading me to strongly
suspect that the Version attribute is actually redundant and that the XMLNS
attribute has the same function.

	So far everyone is keen on the idea of a version attribute but
unless someone can say how it is to be used I think we should yank it and
rely on xmlns.

	We need some text to describe what is going on either way.

2) Namespaces

	The time has come folks, we need to take out the current date that
refers to the completion date of one of my direct ancestors successful
corporate takeovers.

	I propose using the following identifiers which will resolve to the
relevant docs in the repository:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/docs/yyyymmdd-assertion-draftn
n.xsd
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/docs/yyyymmdd-protocol-draftnn
.xsd

where yyyy, mm, dd and nn are appropriately instantiated. Final versions
would be vX.Y

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.