Subject: RE: First contact

Title: First contact
Anders - I think the right place to address these issues, in the first instance, is in the Bindings working group.  I don't believe this group has a schedule for its next meeting.  But, I expect Prateek will organize one shortly.

My personal feeling (at the moment) is that the Pull model currently defined in the draft SAML Bindings specification satisfies the requirements, as stated in the Use Case and Requirements document.  But, if you can persuade the working group that your proposal is superior, taking into account performance, firewall-friendliness, trustworthiness, intellectual property, etc., then I am sure it would be possible to modify the draft.  I would not be in favour of standardizing two possible solutions.

Best regards.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anders Rundgren [mailto:anders.rundgren@telia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 2:49 AM
To: Tim Moses; 'OASIS Security Services group'

Tim,

Slight return on a popular issue.
You claim that you are satisfied with the current browser profile but anyway claim that the Push model
due to inferiority, will not get popular, and in another posting claim that the Push model is "brain dead".
I don't see the point of standardizing a thing that is brain dead.  It would be nice if some other persons
would like to comment on this.  I.e. if a thing is technically "possible" but has built-in flaws that
have no good solutions, I think it should be outside of a standard in order to promote interoperability.

I have as you may have noted, not come to the same conclusions regarding the push model (my two
contributed documents fully address all your concerns) but that is another thing.

And the question remains: Should SAML really standardize things that are "brain dead"?

regards
Anders R