Subject: Visio diagram of part of assertion schema diagram

All,

	Attached is the first page of a diagram showing the assertion
schema. The notation is semi-custom. UML etc. are designed to allow C++ data
structures to be dumped out of the diagram, this is not a good fit with the
XML type scheme.

	This is not a complete modelling language that guarantees to allow
any XML schema to be represented, the idea is to represent our schema rather
than support every possible XML feature.

	I have avoided the usual menagerie of arrows in favor of explicit
numeric labels to state cardinality, I don't know about you but 1..Infinity
conveys more to me than a surjective function arrow.

	If people would like fancy arrow endings in addition then please
suggest a scheme. I was using an open box for an optional element and a
closed box for a required one. But we could easily change to a bar on the
arrow to mean optional and a single arrow head to mean one, a double
arrowhead to mean one or more.

	This is the first page of about 5. Trying to make the diagram fit on
one page is not a good plan if we want the diagram to have any detail.

		Phill

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.