Subject: RE: Updated Issues List (draft-sstc-saml-issues-06.doc)

Title: RE: Updated Issues List (draft-sstc-saml-issues-06.doc)
I agree that a SOAP and/or SMIME profile should indicate the use of signatures for subject authentication, however, what about other bindings?  I actually favor the approach where an XMLSIG profile of XML-Protocol indicate this functionality (as part of XML-P) so that any application and/or protocol bound to XML-P doesn't have to worry about it.  Though, in the short term, if many implementors plan to bind directly to HTTP then it might make sense to go with Tim's original suggestion.

-dan
-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Moses [mailto:tim.moses@entrust.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 3:49 PM
To: 'OASIS Security Services group'

Hal - Perhaps you are right.  I originally thought this was a different issue (one solved by allowing the Subject element to he a digest of a "document", so that the assertion could be "about" the data, rather than about a person).  But, on rereading, the mention of SOAP and S/MIME seems to suggest a "store-and-Forward" communications model, with origin authentication based on the signer's signature over the data.

Can we conclude that Phill has the mandate to include the text proposed in my contribution ...

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200108/msg00041.html

Or can we only append the text from the contribution to the description of the issue?

Best regards.  Tim.