Subject: RE: [Action - Gil]: To make a proposal on the mandatory use of HT TPS

When I raised this question, it was specifically in the context of the
"transfer URLs" in the Web Browser Pull profile, from the bindings-05
document (section 4.1.4.1). As Prateek points out, it also applies to the
Form Post profile (4.1.4.3).

Clearly, there is an attack against the pull profile if it is possible to
intercept or obtain a copy of the SAML artifact, which is passed as a URL
parameter through an HTTP redirection. Sites that care about the security of
this transfer SHOULD implement the transfer URLs as HTTPS to reduce the
chance that the artifact can be stolen.

However, there are thousands of sites on the Internet that do not consider
attacks like this important enough to protect against. They are perfectly
happy to pass authentication tokens in the form of cookies, URL parameters,
hidden form fields, etc. over unencrypted HTTP. I believe that we should
give such sites the option of using HTTP for the transfer URL, if they feel
that the overhead of setting up HTTPS service does not give them value.

There are also sites that protect the transfer in other ways, such as
performing all communication over a "trusted" internal network or VPN.

My preference is for a modified version of Prateek's option (2) below:

Vendors MUST implement support for using HTTPS to protect communication with
the transfer URLs. Vendors SHOULD implement support for HTTP for the
transfer URLs, to support deployments with different confidentiality
requirements.

Deployments SHOULD provide for confidentiality between the browser and the
transfer URLs.

In terms of the wording in the existing document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/docs/draft-sstc-bindings-model
-05.pdf

(aside) In my text, I need to write "HTTP over SSLv3 with server-side
certificate" a bunch of times. Do we want to put that as our definition for
HTTPS at the beginning of the document?

For the three paragraphs starting at line 554 (second, third and fourth
paragraphs in section 4.1.4.1):

The user has authenticated to the source web site and subsequently visits an
inter-site transfer URL, with information about the desired target on the
URL query string (Step 1). The inter-site transfer URL on the source web
site redirects the user to a corresponding assertion consumer URL on the
destination web site (Step 2), with the target and one or more SAML
artifacts carried on the URL query string. This redirect causes the user's
browser to access the consumer URL on the destination web site and pass the
SAML artifacts and intended target.

As these steps may be performed over the open Internet, deployments SHOULD
expose the transfer and consumer URLs using HTTP over SSLv3 with server-side
certificate. Otherwise, the artifact(s) returned on Step 2 and passed on
Step 3 will be available in plain text to an attacker. If attackers obtain
the artifact, they may be able to impersonate the user to the destination
site. Vendors MUST implement support for exposing the transfer URLs as HTTP
over SSLv3 with server-side certificate. Vendors SHOULD implement support
for exposing the transfer and consumer URLs as unencrypted HTTP to support
deployments with different confidentiality requirements.

For the paragraph at line 646 (second pg. in 4.1.4.3):

As steps 2, 3 and 4 may be performed over the open Internet, deployments
SHOULD expose the transfer and consumer URLs using HTTP over SSLv3 with
server-side certificate. Otherwise, the SAML assertion(s) returned on Step 2
and passed on Step 4 will be available in plain text to an attacker. If
attackers obtain the assertions, they may be able to impersonate the user to
the destination site. Vendors MUST implement support for exposing the
transfer and consumer URLs as HTTP over SSLv3 with server-side certificate.
Vendors SHOULD implement support for exposing the transfer and consumer URLs
as unencrypted HTTP to support deployments with different confidentiality
requirements.

 - irving -

The information contained in this message is confidential and is intended
for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or
there are any problems please notify the originator immediately.  The
unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is
strictly forbidden. Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,
special, indirect or consequential damages arising from alteration of the
contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being
passed on.

In addition, certain Marketing collateral may be added from time to time to
promote Baltimore Technologies products, services, Global e-Security or
appearance at trade shows and conferences.

computer viruses.