Subject: RE: [XML Signature] Issues on Core 19 & Others

I agree with the questions about the meaning/function of multiple
assertions.  If we can't motivate them with native-SAML use cases, we may
want to look seriously at pulling back a bit.

If I'm understanding correctly, Phill has been promoting this structure in
order to allow for interesting applications built on top of SAML, which is
a legitimate data point.  I wonder if there isn't a more useful solution:

Make the native SAML assertion be "singular" in nature (containing a single
statement), and then allow applications to extend the assertion datatype by
adding additional statements on the end.  In extremely informal DTDish
notation, the native assertion type would do this:

   assertion ->
   (meta-stuff, (stmt|subjstmt|authnstmt|authzstmt|attstmt))

And the extensions you could create might look like this:

   my-extended-assertion ->
   (everything-above, (stmt|subjstmt|authnstmt|authzstmt|attstmt)*)

(Sorry, I'm multitasking at the moment and don't trust myself to get an XML
Schema version right.  I will try to follow up with more specific code.)

This would ensure that SAML's semantics for singular assertions are clear,
and that while extensions might pick up on native *statement* semantics,
they're on their own as regards any "multiples" semantics.

         Eve