Subject: RE: [security-services] SAML core editors: an item to put into do c

> I understand the intent of this extension but I would
> like to point out that this has not actually been
> voted on for inclusion in the document.

In the interest of getting a final answer, I support Simon's attempt to
trigger a vote by asking for its inclusion. ;-)

> Here are some questions: what does it mean to have
> a URI included in an assertion? Does it mean that
> the URI implements a generic SAML responder?
> Or is it the case that the URI implements a SAML
> query-response service as embodied in a specified
> SAML binding?

I can't speak for Simon, but my working schema for Shibboleth right now
includes a data triple of attributes to fully specify an authority:

	Name:	the named identity of the authority (for authentication)
	Protocol: a URI identifying the protocol (eg. SAML-SOAP-HTTPS)
	Binding: a protocol-specific string addressing the authority

Personally, I think that's both necessary and sufficient (with the
exception that if you did want to identify the authority "type", you'd
need that as well).

In Simon's proposal, the name is implied by the binding string (eg. the
hostname) and the protocol is presumably the only one currently defined
(SAML over SOAP over HTTP(s)).

Assuming this were adopted as is, a subsequent schema revision could add
more attributes (either optional or defaulted) without breaking
assertions.

> If we are basically dealing with URIs that act as
> a SAML responder, why do we need to differentiate
> between three types of "AuthorityKind" ?

This might be relevant or useful if conformance is defined in terms of
the type of assertions returned by a conforming implementation, maybe?