Subject: RE: [security-services] Draft-sstc-sec-consider-03.doc

The attack described in section 3.4 of the document you reference is
based on two assumptions

1) The client does not verify certificate chains all the way to a
trusted CA (in the example attack the malicious party presents a
self-signed bogus certificate)
2) The server does not require a verified client certificate.

All key-based systems are open to this kind of attack, but we do address
both of these assumptions in the document.

Assumption 1 is addressed in the new section on Key Management wherein
it is noted that these systems really need to check both the correctness
of the key, and the correctness/currentness of the key-to-identity
binding (which can involved full cert chain verification or reference at
a local store of assigned keys, either of which would cause assumption 1
to fail).

Assumption 2 is addressed in our definition of , and requirement for,
bilateral authentication. When the bilateral authentication requirement
is mentioned in the document, it is mentioned that SSL/TLS with client
certificates required, meets this requirement. So the client must supply
a verifiable certificate, which causes assumption 2 to fail.

C.

http://www.monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/faq.html

Anders