Subject: RE: [security-services] SOAP Profile of SAML vs WS-Security: Summaryand an Action Plan

Hi all,

	If we are discussing this, we also should explore possibilities of the
Credential Assertion (which the WS-XXX specifications define) as part of
SAML. The four specs are tied together in some ways, so we might have to
deal with *all* of them.

cheers

/dnglobspec
/html/wslicspecindex.asp>

WS-Security is concerned with several different security topics (e.g.,
encryption) but two components are relevant to the SAML SOAP Profile.

*	The Credentials section discusses a mechanism for associating
security information, such as Kerberos tickets, with a message.
*	The Integrity section discusses how to use XML-Signature
[XML-Signature]
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnglobspec/html/ws-security.asp?fra
me=true#ws-security_xml-signature>  to ensure that SOAP messages are not
tampered with during message transmission.

A general construction is given for attaching a "credential" to a SOAP
message. Use of an "integrity header" (utilizing XML-DSIG) is described to
ensure message integrity.

WS-License describes XML elements that can be used to express several
different types of credentials: X.509 certificates, Kerberos tickets and
arbitrary binary blobs.

CONCLUSION:
-------------------
The proposals in WS-Security and WS-License are clearly relevant to the SAML
SOAP
Profile. They do not in any way make the contents of the SOAP profile
redundant; on
the contrary, by proposing "infrastructure" for the inclusion of generic
"credentials" in
SOAP messages they highlight the importance of the SAML SOAP Profile in XML
messaging.

We need to review the current contents of the SOAP profile in light of the
WS-Security and
WS-License proposals. One possible outcome would be to build the SOAP
profile as an instance of WS-Security and expose SAML assertions as a
specific instance of the credential notion described in WS-License. However,
all of this will take some time and considerable discussion.

I would therefore propose the removal of the materials on the SOAP profile
from the current bindings draft. These materials, together, with the
WS-Security and WS-License proposals, would be used as the basis for a new
draft SOAP profile document. The TC would review this information and submit
a SOAP profile to OASIS in the near future (Q2/02).

NOTE:
--------
For reasons unknown to me, the above links do not always correctly lead to
the two specifications. An alternative path is to view the table of contents
displayed on the
LHS frame and directly access the specifications from the TOC.