Subject: Re: [security-services] the "NotOnOrAfter" issue

I'm very much in sympathy with Rich's mails on this topic. An area
like this where there's a history of problems is one where SAML
really should be conservative - which is what I tried to be in
suggesting one-second and UTC-only restrictions.

A few more things, then I'll shut up about this:-

- Adopting NotAfter vs. NotOnOrAfter for me is simply the issue
of programmers and the "=" sign in code. I don't claim X.509
validity is wonderful - I just don't see any reason why we need
something different, especially not something subtly different.

- Folks have argued that some XML processing substrate will handle
all this, so SAML is ok to just use dateTime. I recall the same
arguments about ASN.1 compiler runtime libraries offering support
for things like UTCTime way back in ASN.1-land, but they never really
got it right (e.g. one ASN.1 compiler/code-generator I recall had
correctly implemented 1988 DER which unfortunately had an error in
how UTCTime was handled, so when DER got fixed about '93, programs
using that compiler's code were suddenly broken). Don't even ask
what happened when compilers tried to handle the various ASN.1
string formats!

- I checked, and the *DEFINITION* (sorry, couldn't resist:-) of
dateTime basically says: "its whatever values are allowed in ISO 8601",
then goes on to limit that. I don't have that ISO document myself; I
don't see any mention of leap seconds, and I do see that dateTime
has (in general) only a partial ordering defined. That last, is IMO,
not sufficient for SAML.

- This isn't academic in the way that it might be with X.509
public key certificates which tend to last for about a year. I
expect SAML assertions with lifetimes in the minutes to be fairly
common, so that many more edge value cases are likely to occur.

Regards,
Stephen.

PS: dateTime seems to be defined at:
            http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime