Subject: Re: [security-services] the Time Issue

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Rich Salz wrote:

> XML Schema only allows hh:mm timezone offsets.

> Subsecond resolution bothers me because XML Schema is silent on the
> matter of roundoff errors, etc., between lexical form and native form,
> and back.  See archives for discussion of "round-tripping," e.g. If we
> need subsecond, then let's say msec and allow .000 only.

The above makes me think that these concerns apply not only to the
notBefore not[OnOr]After attributes of Condition (which this discussion
has been about) but to all uses of dateTime in the spec, ie IssueInstant
and AuthenticationInstant as well.  While I can convince myself that
whole-second granularity is OK for notBefore/After, it seems to me
unacceptable to limit the Instant values to this (since ordering of
AuthenticationInstants might be useful in some cases, eg).

Is the dateTime spec in Schema broken for our purposes?  That would be too
bad but if so we need to deal with it.

 - RL "Bob"