Subject: RE: [security-services] The multiple subject issue

The consensus at F2F#5 was to have a single-subject per
statement. At the same time notice that multiple (unrelated)
statements may be present in an assertion.

One use-case discussed
at the F2F was the scenario wherein an AP creates a bunch of
statements about a principal (described via many different
<subject> elements) and dumps them into an assertion. A
relying party then scrabbles thru the statements and finds
those that it recognizes or wants. My impression is that (at the
cost of some redundancy) this supports the type of processing used in the
Java security model. So, if we have principal P with
names P@work-address.com and P@personal-address.com and attributes
A and B we may end up with:

<Assertion>
Stmnt 1: <Subject><NameIdentifier>P@work-address.com..</Subject>
         Attribute Name A:  Attribute Value: xxxx
         Attribute Name B:  Attribute Value: yyyy

Stmnt 2: <Subject><NameIdentifier>P@personal-address.com...</Subject>
         Attribute Name A:  Attribute Value: xxxx
         Attribute Name B:  Attribute Value: yyyy
</Assertion>

Asserting two syntactically distinct subject designators as "equivalent" is
a whole another matter and one for which we
neither have a use-case or even an extended discussion on the
list.

- prateek