Subject: Re: [security-services] URI extensions etc

I must have missed this discussion; what was the benefit claimed for this
approach?  (I'm not necessarily against it.)

This approach points up the importance of talking about URI *references* in
the text, not just URIs.  I think I've commented on this before.  ("URI
reference" means the URIs that are allowed to have have fragment
identifiers on them.)  If we don't say we allow URI references, then
fragment identifiers technically aren't allowed, though I doubt there's
much software that would hold implementations to this restriction.

(I'm not too crazy about messing with base URIs; their semantics are a
little tricky.  BTW, xml:base is one of those pseudo-native XML attributes
that can't be validly used unless we really include it in our
schema...  I'd rather have whole URI references be spelled out.)

         Eve