Subject: [security-services] Handling of acknowledgments

The issue of contributor lists came up a few times as we prepared for the
big January publication date.  I would like to propose a consistent
template for handling this issue that I hope is fair to all.

Currently, the various specs have a list of contributors on page 1, in most
cases listing the main document editor as a "first among equals" in
alphabetic order in that list but in one case listing the main editors
separately above.  These lists are a little idiosyncratic, built up over
time but not with the same criteria applied in all cases.

I suggest that we list the main editor(s) of each spec on page 1 as follows
(along the lines of the core spec):

Editors:
   [sort on last names]
   Joe Blow, DahtCalm
   Jane Row, IvyEdu

A new appendix, Acknowledgments, would be added to each spec, which would
read as follows:

======
The editors would like to acknowledge the contributions of the OASIS SAML
Technical Committee, whose voting members at the time of publication were:

   [sort on last names; list to be supplied by Steve Anderson]
   Paul Apple, Foo Co.
   Ann Bingham, Bar Inc.
   Evan Cinch, Baz Company

The editors would also like to thank the following people for their
contributions:

[subject to judgment of editors and requests by others]
o Mary Hadalittlelamb, former editor
o Peter Pan, who wrote the first draft of the section on XYZ
o John Doe, former chair of the Foo subcommittee
======

Whatever handling of contributor lists we agree on, it would be great if
all the editors could be ready to implement it before last call.  Each
draft we publish will get more and more widely read and circulated, so it
would be nice to ensure that people get properly acknowledged for their work.

	Eve