Subject: RE: [security-services] SOAP Profile of SAML vs WS-Security: Summ aryand an Action Plan

Hal -

All three use cases below are important w.r.t. B2B apps.

You can add to the mixture ebXML and UDDI also, both based on
SOAP messsage packaging.

I agree that we can model a credential with an appropriate attribute schema.
It is unfortunate that users of SAML need to go about defining a Credential
via SAML attribute assertion. Furthermore, I agree that protection of
verification data in such "attribute oriented" credential assertions would
need to be application dependent meaning that interoperability of
Credentials will be questionable. We lack a standard in this area
although I think we did have a good starting point in S2ML in this
area.

SAML 1.0's lack of standardized Credentials is one area that
ws-security has attempted to address. I agree that Microsoft's GXA
does not address the semantic processing requirements of Credentials.
But in some ways thay have taken the first step in specifying a
flexible model of associating Credentials in SOAP messages. They
also claim that such procesing of security extensions in application
dependent which is correct design goal for SOAP messaging
systems, IMO. Authentication protocols was an area that
ws-security has prudently not included in their specs via their
design goal of application level security.

I think we may get some questions of why SAML 1.0 lacks this
capability as part of 1.0 acceptance. Post 1.0 we will have to fix
this in SAML.

regards,
Zahid