Subject: [security-services] minutes for Focus teleconf, Tuesday March 5 2002

The resolutions on some of the items below weren't clear, I hope I haven't
misrepresented them.

 - RL "Bob"

---

SAML focus meeting
2002/03/05
----------

reviewing SAP comments submitted to comments list 28 Feb
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services-comment/200202/msg00008.html

SAP-1.  why "indeterminate" value?
  Hal:  this has come up before, and is arguable.  Question is whether
  model is that a PDP is always authoritative, or can say "I don't
  know".
  Irving:  wouldn't that better be an error response?
  Hal:  XACML has 4-state model, could argue 3 vs 2 forever
  Rob:  have to give more explanation if we keep 3
  Phill:  have to distinguish "no" from "I don't know" or "no comment"
    if ask 2 PDPs, one says "yes", one says "don't know", that might
      add up to "yes", as opposed to "yes" and "no" responses
  Scott:  but seems weird to have "assertion" of "don't know"
    but it's a style thing
  Hal:  need someone to propose language one way or the other
  Phill:  will produce text with both indeterminate and error code
  Simon:  please coordinate since want to make sure is XACML is in
    sync

Jeff:  let's jump to comment 14 (confirmationMethod vs
  authenticationMethod)
Hal:  proposed text on this
Jeff:  but it's not in the doc, sent minor mods in recent msg to list
Prateek:  thread started on list, "query-processing rules" ?

SAP-2:  AssertionID element naming
Eve:  had suggested a while ago to get rid of AssertionSpecifier as
  wrapper element, and just make choice in those places where it's
  used
Scott:  SAP-proposed change doesn't work
Hal:  still have AssertionIDReference, right?
Irving:  difference between "address of" and "pointer to"
Prateek:  move on to resolution?
Eve:  made this suggestion several times ...
Joe:  but have to do it again
Hal:  SAP-3 is very similar
Eve:  bug on line 366
Hal:  seems like this is "agreed to but unimplemented"
Eve:  OK, will resubmit

SAP-4:  confusion in use of "authentication assertion"
Hal:  obviously reflects undone changes based on move to Statements
  need to look everywhere we say "assertion" to see if we mean
  "statement"

SAP-5:  audience vs target
Hal:  should be cleared up by moving target to Response, right?
Bob:  yes, as applied to its use in Response it's more clear
Hal:  only defined in context of POST?
Scott:  only narrowly defined there, would always be http(s) URL
Hal:  so undefined for other uses?
Bob:  language proposed, I'll send to list

SAP-6:  target minoccurs
Bob:  obsolete now that Target is not a condition

SAP-7:  securitydomain
Prateek:  addressed in nameidentifier fixup

SAP-8:  locality confusing
Hal:  yeah, brought up before
Irving:  so AuthenticationSubjectLocality ?
Scott:  can we get rid of "Authentication" ?
Prateek:  so "SubjectLocality"
Hal:  OK

SAP-9:  can't authorize for range
Hal:  misunderstanding, we ruled out wildcards and ruled out
  passing along policy like ranges
  so is more normative text needed?  or advice?
  view adding more non-normative text with suspicion
Irving:  implies clarification needed
Hal:  OK, text suggestions solicited

SAP-10:  attrnamespace and name optional
Scott:  just a bug, isn't it, didn't we decide they're required?
Irving:  hmm, not sure

SAP-11:  attrvalue is anyNumber
Eve:  just a typo, isn't it?
Simon:  schema tool doesn't like "anyType" when imported into another
  schema
Scott:  schema tools are broken

SAP-12:  zero-statement assertion as "ping" using RespondWith
Irving:  seems like obscure use, likely to confuse
Scott:  status of RespondWith QName?
Irving:  sort of muddy, since semantics slightly different
Hal:  isn't it easy enough to use RespondWith and get zero response?
  if it's a trick, then not justified.
  Polar Humenn's request more reasonable.

Prateek:  I'll take SAP comments 24-30, suggestion resolution
Hal:  I'll take 13-23