Subject: RE: [security-services] HolderOfKey and SenderVouches are slippin gthru the cracks(!)

Now it is my turn to get very annoyed.

Holder of Key is absolutely critical to our intentions for SAML. If SAML
cannot specify an attribute assertion whose subject is identified by the
holder of a key we have been sold a pup.

The processing model is irrelevant in that instance as Prateek points out.
There is nevertheless a need for interoperability between implementations.

The error the group has fallen into is the belief that the subject
confirmation is only relevant to an authentication authority. There is no
reason why that should be the case, nor any intrinsic reason why a SAML
installation should require such a server at all.

I know that some people would like to restrict the capabilities of SAML to
exclude this functionality but that is a mistake. The lack of a sanction in
the standard will not prevent that use, it will merely lead to incompatible
identifiers for the same function.

If we have to we will cut a URI off the xmltrustcenter.org arc but people
should not believe that blocking this in committee will block it in the
marketplace.

	Phill