Subject: RE: [security-services] RSA Security IPR statement

Netegrity would like to express its concerns over any proposal that requires
Netegrity customers to approach RSA for licensing of RSA patent rights
that may be applicable to SAML. We would propose instead that language
be developed for a "RSA IPR statement" and that said text be included with
all SAML based products. This would secure relevant RSA patent IPR.

Suggestions along the lines of
would certainly work for us, but we are open to other proposals.

The concern here relates to our basic business model.  When our products
are sold to our customers, we will not be in a position to recognize revenue until
our customer completes an agreement with a third-party (RSA). You will appreciate
that this would constitute a serious barrier to our adoption of SAML.

Sincerely,

Prateek Mishra
Technical Director
Netegrity
781-663-7358
-----Original Message-----
From: Philpott, Robert [mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com]
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 11:36 AM
To: Philpott, Robert; 'Jeff.Hodges@sun.com'
Cc: 'PATO,JOE (HP-PaloAlto,ex1)'; Kaliski, Burt; Linn, John; security-services@lists.oasis-open.org; Kamionek, Ted

Hi folks,

I met w/legal, et al this morning where we developed a tentative process and timeline for obtaining licenses.

The general process will involve a small document download from the RSA website with fax-back of the signed license.  If necessary, RSA will then return a final signed copy to the sender.

Legal will have an internal review draft by next Monday (5/13) and the team felt we should allow a couple of weeks for internal iteration.  So I think expectations should be set that the final document will be ready no later than 5/27.

FYI - In case it helps, the license will be very similar to that used by Entrust for their patent #5,699,431 for CRL management.  See http://www.ietf.org/entrust_license.html

If the timeline or proposed process for the license is a problem for anyone, please notify Ted Tamionek, tkamionek@rsasecurity.com, and CC me.

FYI - Eve and I have discussed a general approach to including a reference in the specs.  A small, simple statement in the spec's will just refer folks back to the OASIS site.  From there, they should be able to find the description of the process and a link for obtaining the license.

Rob Philpott

RSA Security Inc.

The Most Trusted Name in e-Security

Tel: 781-515-7115