Subject: [security-services] FW: SOAP Confidentiality and Integrity: Next Step?

FYI...

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Reagle [mailto:reagle@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 1:24 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Cc: xml-encryption@w3.org; 3.org@w3.org; www-xkms@w3.org
Subject: SOAP Confidentiality and Integrity: Next Step?

This email is a final step in a thread in how to start work on providing
confidentiality and integrity for SOAP messages. I've discused a range of
security issues [1] with a conclusion that this topic (soap+xmldsig+xenc)
is most pressing; however, I was not able to find agreement that this issue
should be shoe-horned into an existing WG, instead it should be part of the
Web Services security. [2]

Though I'm relatively ignorant of the ws-arch discussions, I've heard the
ws-arch WG is considering this issue and will try to have charters
available for work in July [3], but that the immediate issue might also be
delayed be consideration of the bigger issues. Consequently, I'd recommend
that a charter for work in the WS Activity be specified with a scope no
larger than [4] -- and potentially more narrow (e.g., without tokens). A
"web services security" community does not yet exist (or it does, but it's
fragmented) and starting work on this immediately not only commences with
the work, but helps build a community which then can contribute to the
larger discussion. For instance, because standardized security components
do not yet exist, specifications such as XKMS [5] may end up specifying
"one-off" versions in the short term. However, these could be contributed
to the WS work. We all know somebody who knows somebody who is in the other
WG, but sometimes that isn't quite enough. <smile/>

In conclusion, I advocate a charter with specific and immediate terms, and
an active recruitment of participants. Please let me know if and how events
are likely to be otherwise. Thanks!

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2002AprJun/0022.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xenc-xmlp-tf/2002Jun/0002.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/2002/05/28-ws-cg-irc.txt