Subject: Re: [security-services] Proposed charter and standing rules

I think a certain fear overtakes us when we contemplate copy-editing
legal prose!

However, I wonder if we're not missing something if we change the
wording in these cases.  I will ask knowledgeable folks here, and I
suggest that others do the same.  One additional note below:

Irving Reid wrote:
> Minor (I think) language quibbles:
>

>>"It is the intention of the TC not to approve any technical
>>specification if it believes that the use, distribution, or
>>implementation of such specification would necessarily require the
>>unauthorized infringement of any third party rights known to
>

> I'd replace the previous phrase with
>
> "...specification would require the infringement of any intellectual
> property rights known..."
>

>>the TC, and
>>such third party has not openly specified and agreed to provide
>>necessary license rights on perpetual, royalty-free,
>

> "... has not openly agreed to license the necessary rights on a
> perpetual..."

I actually was the one who added the "openly specified", and my
reasoning was that it echoes the OASIS policy:

http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.shtml

The "specified" means that you can't just say "yeah, yeah, the terms
will be reasonable etc."; you have to specify *which* terms you intend
to impose.

	Eve

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com