Subject: RE: [security-services] Credentials Collector proposal for SAML 2.0...

Title: Credentials Collector proposal for SAML 2.0...
Carlisle,

This doesn't seem to have attracted much discussion.

I agree that architecture "CC as Translator" is what most people want. ("Combined CC and AA" is what SAML supports today, e.g. Browser/artifact Profile and "CC as Local Authenticator" has always seemed dubious to me as a candidate for standardization, since the trust required of the CC by the AA suggests that they will be part of the same security domain.)

Your paper addresses in more detail issues I only alluded to in my original paper.

However, the fundamental question remains. How can this architecture be realized (with or without WS-Trust) without either a) favoring weak (password) authentication over strong (cryptographic) authentication or b) causing the architecture (and therefore the trust relationships) to change completely from one authentication to the next, depending on the type of mechanism chosen.

The problem is not so much the authentication itself, but the state that must be carried forward into the session begun with a cryptographic handshake.

Given purely technical considerations, I would favor the Shared Sesion Key scheme I outlined in my orginal paper. I would even be willing to work with you to flesh out the details. However, the practical reality is that most implementations use SSL, for example, as a blackbox and have no convenient means for exporting and importing session keys, not to mention doing only half of the protocol.

Those who do not understand the last three paragraphs should refer to my paper at:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200206/msg00007.html

Hal
-----Original Message-----
From: Carlisle Adams [mailto:carlisle.adams@entrust.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 2:16 PM
To: 'security-services@lists.oasis-open.org'

Hi all,

I've finally gotten around to updating and filling out the Credentials Collector proposal.  I've tried to take into account the brief discussions a few of us have had so far on this topic.  Further comment/discussion is welcome, on the list and perhaps in an upcoming concall.

Carlisle.

<<SAML Credentials Collector.doc>>