Subject: Candidate Committee Specs for V1.1

Hi everyone!

I've just finished uploading new versions of all spec's to the web site document repository.  The individual files are there (with no change bars), but I've also provided 2 zip files.  Both zip's have .doc and .pdf versions of all five V1.1 files.   One zip file has files with document change bars and the other has all changes accepted.  The change bars are relative to the previously posted files (Last Call or one rev past Last Call).  The ZIP files are:

-          http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/2225/Candidate-CS-changebars.zip

-          http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/2226/Candidate-CS.zip

The updates primarily address changes per the 20-May meeting action items.  They also include some minor editorial revs.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There is, however, one important issue with the conformance spec that I discussed with several folks offline and have included changes to address.

Unfortunately, this particular spec hasn't received sufficient review by folks (including myself) during V1.1 development.  When I went to make the agreed-upon 20-May changes, I discovered that both Section 2.5 and especially Table 2 have errors.  This section/table deals with acceptable conformance limits on "unbounded" elements defined in our schemas.  Unfortunately, there are elements described there that don't exist in our schema, elements listed that are not really unbounded, and unbounded elements that are in our schema that aren't in the table and should be included.

So... I made the changes we discussed at Tuesday's meeting, but I also took a stab at fixing section 2.5/Table 2.

Those people I've discussed this with all feel that making these changes is the right thing to do.  But, since these are the candidate committee specs, we believe that the TC should decide whether or not to accept the changes as editorial.  I'm certainly not changing any of the intended meaning of the text/table in the doc.  I've simply updated them to properly reflect our schema. The changes have had some careful review, but we would greatly appreciate it if a few more eyeballs hit the changes. Please send comments to the list.

Thus, I've proceeded with posting the edits and we'll discuss the appropriateness of the change on Tuesday's call before we vote to move the specs to Committee Specification maturity.

Note that the OASIS public review period also affords us an opportunity to make additional spec changes after which we a) simply reaffirm the updated specs as our Committee Spec's and then b) send the updated specs to OASIS for a standardization vote.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Talk to you Tuesday!

Rob Philpott
RSA Security Inc.