Subject: Editorial topics that need discussion

The editorial folks have been bouncing around a few ideas, and I wanted
to bring them to the whole TC for discussion.  (Should these be added
explicitly to the work items document?  That document is feeling almost
like an issues list now...)  Perhaps we could spend a few minutes on
each at the next meeting.

- Bindings/profiles spec reorganization.  We have talked before about
versioning implications of individual profiles.  I think it would be
more elegant, versioning-wise, to put the instructional material about
"what constitutes a profile" in the core spec, and then have individual
specs for each profile or set of related profiles.  If we're going to be
adding bindings, we might want to do the same thing with them.  Another
consideration is the breakdown of Liberty specs; Jeff pointed out that
we might want to follow that lead.  But he also pointed out another
consideration: speed of V2.0 vs. undertaking a huge reorg.  We'll need
to discuss the speed factor as part of our goal statement discussion,
methinks, and that will help to guide the editorial choices.

- Ease-of-use content.  I've suggested that we desperately need examples
in the core spec, and others have suggested that we produce a tutorial.
  What do people think is the best way to deliver this sort of stuff: an
examples appendix, examples interspersed among the normative bits, a
separate tutorial with examples, all of the above, ...?  Are there
materials out there that we could use as a basis?

	Eve
Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Products, Technologies, and Standards    eve.maler @ sun.com
SunNetwork 2003 Conference and Pavilion  http://www.sun.com/sunnetwork
September 16-18, 2003                    Moscone Center, San Francisco
An unparalleled event in network computing! Make the net work for you!