Subject: FYI (old msg for the record): [security-services] First draft of aSAML FAQ

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [security-services] First draft of a SAML FAQ
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:31:22 -0500
From: Eve L. Maler <eve.maler@sun.com>
To: security-services@lists.oasis-open.org

The questions are all real ones I've gotten (or asked myself).  The answers
that appear so far are from Hal, lightly edited by me.  If you want to take
a crack at an answer, just send it to the list and I'll incorporate
it.  Eventually, I'll make this a lot prettier.

	Eve

Title: SAML FAQ - 29 November 2001 draft

SAML FAQ

29 November 2001 draft

This FAQ helps to answer frequently asked questions about SAML, the Security Assertion Markup Language. If you have a question that is not answered here, or if you have questions or comments on one of the answers provided, let us know.

What is the connection between acts of authentication and SAML authentication assertions? How are security breaches between one and the other avoided?

Any entity that can authenticate another entity (verify identity) can potentially act as an Authentication Authority and issue a SAML authentication assertion. It is up to relying parties, for example a PDP, to decide what Authentication Authorities it chooses to trust.

The means of ensuring that the entity making a request and the entity referred to by an assertion are one and the same is dependent on the environment and protocols being used. The general mechanism provided is the SubjectConfirmation element, which is intended to carry data appropriate to the environment. Possible mechanisms include an artifact encoded in a URL, a Kerberos service ticket, or a public key associated with signature on a document. SAML profiles will specify the details for different situations.

It is expected that others besides the SAML Technical Committee will define other schemes appropriate for other enviroments. They might or might not publish these as profiles, but doing so ensures greater interoperability.

How does SAML protect against "man-in-the-middle" and "replay" security attacks in general?

SAML doesn't really do anything "in general". Profiles are expected to prevent or minimize MITM attacks as much as possible given the limitations of the environment in question. The Security and Privacy Considerations document discusses (will discuss?) what should be considered.

Can there be multiple authorities responding to the same request? What if they respond differently? Do they use "mirroring" technology?

TBD

Is there a mechanism for telling a remote party that someone's authentication has now expired? Does this imply authentication for a session versus long term? How is the date/time situation addressed in SAML?

TBD

What is the trust relationship model? Do the requester and responder establish a trust relationship and then individuals within the requester's organization and responder's organization then inherit a trust relationship? Do Company A and Company B establish a trust relationship so that then you and I can talk? Do I in Company A have to rely on Company B's' security mechanisms to know that you are really you and not some evil hacker in Company B?

SAML is a very general framework which will be used in a wide variety of environments. It is up to relying parties to decide what Asserting Parties they trust for what purposes. For example, Company A might trust Company B to tell it if an individual was a Company B employee, but not to tell if the employee has a Secret Clearance.

Is there recursion with SAML SOAP bindings and profiles? Can SAML be in both the header and the body?

TBD

Today, file systems and databases often closely couple PEPs and PDPs, even if the PEP and PDP are on different computers. The PDP is pre-configured to know what "questions" to ask the PEP. Will SAML PDPs be able to be handle arbitrary authentication decision queries or do they need to be configured to understand only selected ones?

Any PDP will have a policies covering a finite number of resources. If it is asked about a resource for which it has no policies, it will produce an "Indeterminate" response. It is up to the PEP to locate a PDP that knows about the resources it protects. SAML does not provide any automated way of doing this.

In general, what do SAML authorities and clients need to know about each other in order to securely get something done? Is it just a matter of the both of them claiming SAML conformance, or also trust relationships? How are the latter managed?

Trust relationships must be established out of band. Also a certain amount of configuration information, for example network addresses, will have to be exchanged out of band.

I don't currently use SOAP. Do I need to invent my own protocol for requesting and getting SAML assertions, or am I allowed to use the SAML protocol with a non-SOAP binding?

You are allowed to use SAML requests and responses over any protocol you like. Whether you will be able to interoperate with anybody else is another question. The SOAP-over-HTTP protocol is intended to be very simple to implement and should represent less work than implementing SAML requests and interpreting SAML responses.