Subject: RE: [security-services] Groups - authentication-context.pdf uploaded

Well not true, WS-Policy is a framework that can deal with any type of
assertion that conforms to the grammar defined in WS-Policy, so these can
be assurance or attestations assertions.  So my view is that the
authentication context is really not needed but rather just extend the
authentication method schema to accommodate.

Anthony Nadalin | work 512.436.9568 | cell 512.289.4122

|         |           <Frederick.Hirsch|
|         |           @nokia.com>      |
|         |           10/15/2003 09:20 |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       Anthony Nadalin/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, <security-services@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                   |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [security-services] Groups - authentication-context.pdf uploaded                                                         |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Tony

I do not believe that WS-Policy addresses the same issues as the
authentication context. For example, authentication context can say how
you've authenticated (or want to) in terms of quality of registration and
so on. Sure, this can be considered "policy" in the abstract, but from my
understanding of WS-Policy, this is not addressed specifically by the
WS-Policy drafts.

WS-Policy looks like interesting work, and perhaps there is potential for
WS-Policy to leverage the authentication context work. If and when
WS-Policy is brought to an open standards organization, perhaps that forum
would be appropriate for discussing such combinations.

Do you agree?

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia Mobile Phones