Subject: RE: [security-services] Use Cases

Agree with your comments, I think.  A clarification - the ForceAuthn would only apply for the session for which the SP makes the ForceAuthn request, not all sessions.

Right?

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Whitehead [mailto:grw@trustgenix.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 11:56 AM
To: Beach, Michael C
Cc: John Kemp; security-services@lists.oasis-open.org

On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 01:29 PM, Beach, Michael C wrote:

> John, yes that does make sense.
>
> As a result of today's telecon about reducing the scope of this item, I
> was considering the implications of session authorities not addressing
> idle timeout.
>
> Givens:
> - We have service providers that have some sort of mandatory timeout
> restriction (preferably idle, but we don't have that today)
> - Service providers typically have need to create local sessions
> (either legacy or to streamline interaction)
>
> Consideration:
> Multiple sessions without global idle timeout monitoring could be a
> reasonable compromise.
>
> I still see need for some kind of independent management of sessions
> for collections of SPs, where each collection is made up of 1 or more
> SPs with similar security policy.  Then if we could at least provide a
> mechanism for a service provider to signal a session termination or
> re-authentication required?  The issue I have today is SPs that want to
> do some kind of timeout (or session logout) and force a
> re-authentication for their session only.  Because we have an SSO
> implementation (single global session), a re-authentication event is
> handled automatically by the authentication authority without user
> interaction.  The SP considers that a security flaw, potentially to the
> point that the SP will not participate in our enterprise SSO
> initiative.  If the SP had a means to control "their" session, I could
> likely sell the compromise.

The Liberty AuthnRequest has a flag called ForceAuthn that can be used
by an SP to force the user to be re-authenticated even if the IdP has an
active session with him/her. In the context of this session discussion,
I can imagine a slightly different mechanism being useful, where the SP
could signal the 'freshness' of authentication that it finds acceptable.
In other words, if it has been >N seconds since the user was last
authenticated in the current session, re-authenticate him. This would
perform better in a multi-SP scenario where the user remains idle at two
different SPs for some period of time greater than the idle timeout and
then revisits them both in a short time interval.

> The clearly stated business scenario does call for global idle time
> tracking, but something is better than nothing.

Not having global idle time tracking impacts the user experience, I
guess, but at least it doesn't compromise security. Having each SP track
idle time independently may lead to sessions being expired sooner than
they otherwise would (but not later).

-Greg