Subject: Planning for SAML 1.1 Interop at RSA conference in Feb...

Hi folks,

I received about 10 or so responses to my query of interest in a SAML 1.1 interop at the RSA Conference the week of Feb 23.  The conference is at the Moscone Center in San Franciso.

I've been working behind the scenes to attempt to organize some facilities. You'd think this might be easy since, it's our conference, after all... I won't bore you with the details, but it isn't easy...

Anyway, I think we need to kick off some separate con-call meetings to get this rolling.  There are some technical things we need to work out (e.g. interop scenario, network considerations, etc) and a number of logistical work items (e.g. working with OASIS on signage, providing some $$ to cover costs, etc).

I recommend that every organization/vendor that expressed interest in participating please provide 2 names; one as a contact for technical issues and the other as a marketing/event coordination contact.  I suggest that we take the technical discussion to the saml-dev list like we did last time.  The marketing folks can coordinate via their own list.  Once I have the names, I'll try to schedule a call to kick things off.

****** An immediate request ******

 There are a few significant costs that I'm running up against, depending on the approach we take for "marketing" this event. E.g. do we want to be on the exhibitor show floor so folks can drop in there (lots more traffic this way, but more expensive).  Or do we want to keep this low visibility?  Do we want to do it as a cocktail event? My sense is that it's to our advantage to make as much splash as we can this time around.

I am working on some internal options at RSA to help cover some of the costs for the event, but RSA won't be able to do it alone.  Last time around, the group intentionally kept the costs minimal and, other than Sun providing monitors, RSA the network, and Baltimore the CA), we split the tab equally... some folks didn't have much of a budget for this activity.

We could take the same approach this time or we could consider having any vendors that can afford some extra $$ sponsor the event (in addition to everyone chipping in a small amount).  In this case, we would clearly want to make sure the sponsorship is advertised in some appropriate fashion.

So, I need to know - are there any vendors interested in chipping in $$ to sponsor the event (e.g. perhaps $3k-$5k)?  If so, please contact me directly asap.

Rob Philpott
RSA Security Inc.
The Most Trusted Name in e-Security
Tel: 781-515-7115