Subject: Re: [security-services] Roles for SAML 2.0 Metadata

SAML is indeed extensible, in profiles.  The metadata ("configuration
data") framework is -- as discussed on the last focus call --
extensible, allowing for the identification of config data for
additional participants within additional profiles.  But the work of
defining the specific config data for specific participants in specific
profiles still needs to be done, if actual interop is to be achieved.

Jahan was asked to post a list of participants for which we should nail
down config data for V2.0.  Given our decisions already made to date on
this work item, what's up for grabs now is not *why* to do things this
way, but rather *which* config data to cover for now.

(BTW, even if we were to reuse our attribute statement mechanism for
this information, which some have already pointed out is not a correct
use of SAML attribute statement semantics, we'd still be in the position
of defining *actual* attribute names and value spaces in order to
achieve the "config data" objective.)

	Eve

Anthony Nadalin wrote:

> My point is why restrict. SAML should be extensible as new roles are
> identified as needing metadata, a provider's metadata can be extended to
> include its metadata for those roles w/o any changes to the specifications.
>

> Anthony Nadalin | work 512.436.9568 | cell 512.289.4122
> "Jahan Moreh" <jmoreh@sigaba.com>
>

>                         *"Jahan Moreh" <jmoreh@sigaba.com>*
>
>                         12/29/2003 08:50 PM
>                         Please respond to jmoreh
>

> To: Anthony Nadalin/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
> <security-services@lists.oasis-open.org>
> cc:
> Subject: RE: [security-services] Roles for SAML 2.0 Metadata
>

> Anthony -
>
> I don't believe this is a "restriction" at all. It is simply the case
> that SAML participants that need to exchange meta-data are identified by
> these roles. If there are any other roles that you believe we are
> missing, please enumerate some of them.
>
> Thanks,
> Jahan
>
> ------
> Jahan Moreh
> Chief Security Architect
> 310.286.3070

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Products, Technologies, and Standards    eve.maler @ sun.com