Subject: FW: [xacml] SAML question on XACML attributetyping mechanism

> I think the question being asked is: Why did we specify our data
> types using an XML attribute of type "anyURI" in the Attribute
> name and AttributeValue elements, rather than letting the values
> have types defined via schemas?

Actually in my case, the question I was wondering about at the time was "why
define a new URI-based type system?" instead of using an existing type
system, be it XSD primitives or something else. Me being generally wary of
the "oh, goody, yet another type system" approach.

I think the partial answer I heard was that one can actually normatively
refer to XSD types with a URI (and there's an "official" set of such URIs)
and that makes me feel better about the whole idea.