Subject: Rev 06 of core spec -- need input

Scott and John K. have done a lot of work, and I've done a little, on
this latest draft of the core spec.  I'm not sure where we've gotten on
the corresponding schema changes; will try to sync this up soon.

Please make sure to review all the change-bar material and read the
description blurb below.  Some other points that also need to be vetted:

- Slightly softened language around how message senders and messages are
authenticated.

- This draft reflects the new lines we're starting to draw between
bindings and profiles (e.g. "logout protocol bindings").  This will
require coordination with Frederick.

- Naming is now inconsistent.  SAML previously used long names; Liberty
shortened some for efficiency reasons.  So we now have
<AuthenticationStatement> but <AuthnRequest>, and <NameIdentifier> but
NameIDPolicy.  We need to decide whether (a) the inconsistency is okay,
(b) if not, which way we go for what reasons, and (c) whether we want to
do a full-on succinctness assault.

- The proposal for the new <ProxyRestrictionCondition> brings to light
an old SAML ugliness: <Conditions> contains a repeatable bag of
subelements, necessitating verbiage about what to do when more than one
subelement appears (which has been done in the case of the new
subelement, but not the old ones).  Options: (1) Add prose requirements
(not expressible in XSD) that subelements MUST appear a maximum of once
in <Conditions> (the simplest); (2) change <Conditions>
backwards-incompatibly to contain an ordered list of 0..1 of each
subelement (my favorite); (3) add lots more SHOULD prose to the old
subelement descriptions, similar to what's in the new one (yuck).

- The set of protocols is now inconsistent wrt response messages.  Some
use the <Response> element, and some use specifically named
<RegisterNameIdentifierResponse>, <FederationTerminationResponse>, and
<LogoutResponse>, though they're bound to the same complex type as
<Response> is.  Which way to unify this?

	Eve