Subject: Re: [security-services] Moving subjects up to assertions (disregard first reply)

Don't know if this helps, but it just struck me from following this
thread that part of the problem with the terminology here is that
Subject really seems to mean Security Principal (human or system
entity), and while most Assertions are about Principals, some are about
other things (subjects which are not Principals, such as Resources or
Policies).

So, I would contend that there are no "subject-less" Assertions (lower
case intentional here to refer to the part of speech not the SAML
schema element), but there *are* Assertions about subjects other than
Principals. I wonder if it's possible to resolve this issue using a URI
attribute on Subject to indicate what sort of subject we're talking
about? Every subject will still need to be named somehow, so I think
NameIdentifier applies universally. SubjectConfirmation probably only
applies to subjects that are Principals, but I'm not sure.

-Greg