Subject: SAML Public key authentication methods

Hi,

In trying to map the SAML authentication methods to authentication
context classes, I've hit a snag, regarding the mapping of the
individual public key methods (X509 public key, PGP public key and so
on). These are called out separately as distinct authentication methods.
However, it seems to me that the actual authentication mechanism is not
specified in these cases. Instead, we are specifying how the key was
verified. So, I have a couple of questions/comments for the group:

1) Is information regarding the actual verification of the key, rather
than the actual authentication mechanism, important in describing the
authentication event? If so, then we should model this in the
authentication context, probably by adding an attribute to the
authenticator to hold the "validation mechanism".
2) Unless I'm not understanding this correctly, it seems to me that the
authenticator in all of the these public key cases is some kind of
digital signature over some piece of content.

I'd appreciate thoughts on this matter as I aim to complete the
authentication context/method changes this week.

Cheers,

- JohnK