Subject: FW: [security-services] Agenda for SSTC Conference Call, May 11

Note that the vote to move the 1.1 Technical Overview requires a 2/3 vote of ALL TC voting members, not just a simple majority of those attending. Steve can provide the official count, but we have around 36 voting members which means we need at least 24 yes votes to approve.

So please try to make the call today and cast your vote.

Thanks!

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.
Tel: 781-515-7115

Mobile: 617-510-0893
Fax: 781-515-7020
mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Mishra, Prateek [mailto:pmishra@netegrity.com]
Sent:
Tuesday, May 11, 2004 1:38 AM
To: 'security-services@lists.oasis-open.org'

Dial in info: +1 865 673 6950 #351-8396

  1. Accept minutes from April 27 conference call

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200404/msg00110.html

  1. Final dates and times for Toronto F2F
Tuesday,       June 15, 10:00-5:00
Wednesday,     June 16, 9:00-5:00
Thursday,      June 17, 9:00-2:00

Toronto, Ontario, Canada hosted by Irving Reid, HP.
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200404/msg00108.html

3.           Vote on SAML 1.1 Overview Document (sstc-saml-tech-overview-1.1-draft-05.pdf) as Committee Draft
Draft is available from
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/6628/sstc-saml-tech-overview-1.1-draft-05.pdf

Previously announced in message
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200404/msg00116.html

4.           Recent document updates

5.
sstc-saml-profiles-2.0-draft-07.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/6682/sstc-saml-profiles-2.0-draft-07.pdf

   sstc-saml-bindings-2.0-draft-10.pdf
   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/6679/sstc-saml-bindings-2.0-draft-10.pdf

sstc-saml-2.0-issues-draft-09-diff.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/6546/sstc-saml-2.0-issues-draft-09-diff.pdf

6.           Open Action Items

#0162: Proposal to replace SAML AuthenticationMethod Ids

Owner: John Kemp

Assigned: 11 May 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-05-11 05:37 GMT
Replace AuthNMethod Ids by AuthNContext framework

Scott, Bob: Maybe there is not enough context in the original definition
anyway, not very clear what
X.509 means, for example, could SSL-based mutual authentication fall into
this category?

Jahan: X.509 is not very descriptive, need more detail.

Bob Morgan: suggests we proceed with a fresh approach based on our current
understanding of these
matters.

#0161: Remove KeyInfo from Assertion top-level

Owner: Eve Maler

Assigned: 30 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-30 18:16 GMT
o Mike - what is difference in meaning for KeyInfo at top versus KeyInfo inside SubjectConfirmationData

o Eve - no, just a syntactic

o discussion ensues, decision to remove KeyInfo

o Prateek - eliminating holder of key, Ron will have comments

o Decision - remove KeyInfo, allow within SubjectConfirmationData

*** AI - Eve to implement decision on core 18 after checking with Ron

#0160: Separate Privacy concerns language from Element/Attribute descriptions

Owner: Prateek Mishra

Assigned: 30 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-30 18:14 GMT
Jeff H - We need to highlight privacy considerations related to core, could be notes in core, could be section.
*** AI: Prateek - will generate list potential changes from core

#0158: Propose changes to definition of Federation in glossary

Owner: Prateek Mishra

Assigned: 30 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:

#0157: Define Binding and Profile in Glossary

Owner: Jeff Hodges

Assigned: 30 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-30 18:10 GMT
o "atomic unit of interoperability" proposed

#0155: Message asking if deprecation of AuthenticationMethod is acceptable

Owner: Prateek Mishra

Assigned: 30 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:

#0154: Schema changes so that AuthenticationMethod and AuthContext are parallel choices

Owner: John Kemp

Assigned: 30 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-30 17:58 GMT
We need to resolve if we will deprecate SAML AuthenticationMethod

*** AI: On hold - make schema changes so that AM and AuthContext are parallel choices

#0153: add ReauthenticateOnOrAfter

Owner: Scott Cantor

Assigned: 29 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:

#0151: Limit number of supported combinations

Owner: Prateek Mishra

Assigned: 29 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-29 22:04 GMT
o PM- just because we can do it 3 ways doesn't mean we have to define them as SAML approved. Need to pull their weight. Somebody needs to drive this discussion. So who is going to this?

*** AI: Prateek takes ownership of driving a discussion on limiting combinations.

#0150: Relax Single AuthNStatement Constraint

Owner: Scott Cantor

Assigned: 29 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-29 22:02 GMT
o SC- Response Profile more extensive than that for AuthnRequest

o IR - the restriction that there be only a single AuthenticationStatement is too strict, SC- OK (will change)

*** AI: Scott: Relax AuthenticationStatement Occurrence

#0148: Artifact format proposal for SAML 2.0

Owner: Jeff Hodges

Assigned: 29 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-29 21:58 GMT
o An action is needed to propose artifact types; SAML and
Liberty have different types, and Liberty's includes metadata.

o Prateek believes that convergence on a single type is desirable, and that this should have been done in SAML 1.1;

o Jeff Hodges agrees with this goal, but Rob sees this as less important.

Liberty's artifact format contains a hash of a provider's identity, which doesn't permit metadata lookup. Backward compatibility will need to be considered if and as new types are specified.

*** AI: Jeff Hodges will make a concrete proposal for a common artifact format.

#0147: Chairs to solicit comment from saml-dev on gzip encoding

Owner: Prateek Mishra

Assigned: 29 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-29 21:57 GMT
Prateek wants to avoid having multiple encoding methods, and a working consensus in favor of the gzip approach appears to be developing.

o Jeff Hodges suggests that implementers' comments be solicited, and Prateek recommends that the chairs send a message to the saml-dev list.

*** AI: Chairs to solicit comments.

#0146: SOAP Binding works with WSS Model

Owner: Hal Lockhart

Assigned: 29 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-29 21:54 GMT
*** AI: Hal: Look at SOAP binding and make sure hand waving on WS-Security works.

#0145: Encryption Schema and Examples

Owner: Hal Lockhart

Assigned: 29 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-29 21:53 GMT
Hal: Summary: agreement to encrypt SAML Attribute Statement. Allow encryption of Assertion Statement, NameIdentifier and Attribute Statement.

*** Follow-up: Need schema and some examples.

#0144: Explain optional subject decision

Owner: Eve Maler

Assigned: 29 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-29 21:51 GMT
*** AI: Eve: Optional subject implemented in core spec prose. Schema shows that subject is optional.

o Eve: Has wanted to create a rationale for some of the decisions made on spec. Decision on subject less statements is a good example of what needs to be documented. Making an explicit design decision that is not really explicit on. By choosing to add prose to core spec we're making a stealth abstract profile (generic design decision) that applies to all explicit profiles.

o Scott: data model (design) decision to require subjects in all SAML statements.

#0143: Check SAML schema for consistency

Owner: Eve Maler

Assigned: 29 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-29 21:49 GMT
*** Follow-up: Examine SAML schema for consistent use of XML attributes vs. elements

#0141: Review/fix boilerplace text for Artifact Protocol

Owner: Eve Maler

Assigned: 27 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-27 15:24 GMT
o Prateek: Should we sign or authenticate?

o Scott: Common language on all protocol messages.

o Prateek: Concerned about text on line 2118 "...SHOULD be signed or otherwise authenticated...."

o Scott: Not a MUST, need to provide some recommendation to protect message.

o Eve: this is boiler plate text for all messages. Need to agree on the correct text for this.

***Follow-up: Review/fix boilerplate text re: recommendation for protecting messages

#0140: Update extensions element to use ##other

Owner: Eve Maler

Assigned: 27 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-27 15:22 GMT
Scott - added Extensions element - modeled to be consistent with SOAP header element - i.e. multiple extensions within one Extensions (header) element.
o Discussion of ##any vs. ##other.

o Should use ##other.

o Scott - should we have a wrapper element for extensions?

*** Follow-up: Resolution: change Extension to use ##other

#0139: Followup on a recipient attribute for the encryption key

Owner: Scott Cantor

Assigned: 27 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-27 15:20 GMT
Eve reviews EncryptedNameID
o Scott mentions 0 or more key distribution for Enc NameIDs. Scott also mentions 'recipient' attribute for the key - do we want to make that a MUST?

#0138: Schema snippet for UID Attribute Profile

Owner: Scott Cantor

Assigned: 27 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-27 15:10 GMT
XML schema for UID/OID plus friendly name

#0137: Propose text for core on validity of assertions

Owner: Bob Morgan

Assigned: 27 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-27 15:07 GMT
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200404/msg00048.html

#0136: SSO Validity Proposal to be moved into bindings draft

Owner: Scott Cantor

Assigned: 27 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-27 15:02 GMT
- Scott to implement SSO validity from proposal into
next draft

#0135: Why does signature need to be the first element?

Owner: Eve Maler

Assigned: 27 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-27 15:00 GMT
- Eve to ask Bhavna to post motivation for moving Signature to
front

#0134: Availability of GZIP Implementations

Owner: Greg Whitehead

Assigned: 27 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-27 14:58 GMT
- Greg to ensure that readily available GZIP implementations
can conform to our description in bindings

#0133: Review role of EncryptedNameID recipient attribute

Owner: Scott Cantor

Assigned: 13 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:

#0132: Text to explain privacy reqts when using certain NameFormat values

Owner: John Kemp

Assigned: 13 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:

#0131: Migration document describing changes to subject in SAML 2.0

Owner: Jeff Hodges

Assigned: 13 Apr 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-04-13 04:31 GMT
Explain how treatment of subjects have changed in going from SAML 1.X
to SAML 2.0. This might be an action for Scott?

#0130: Respond to paper on SAML 1.1 Browser Profiles

Owner: Prateek Mishra

Assigned: 29 Mar 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-03-29 17:04 GMT
Maryann Hondo and Prateek Mishra to draft response to paper by Thomas Gross.

#0128: Liason with XRI Data Interchange

Owner: Hal Lockhart

Assigned: 02 Mar 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-03-02 04:33 GMT
Hal will generate a posting on possible need to liaison.

#0125: Propose language to explain that AuthNResponse may contain attribute statements

Owner: Prateek Mishra

Assigned: 16 Feb 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-02-16 14:46 GMT
Easy to do but needs proposal on validity of assertion life-times as well.

#0123: Obtain MIME type registration for HTTP lookup of SAML

Owner: Jeff Hodges

Assigned: 13 Feb 2004

Due: ---

Comments:

#0117: Describe use-cases for attribute-based SSO in relationship to ID-FF 1.2 NameIdPolicy

Owner: Prateek Mishra

Assigned: 11 Feb 2004

Due: ---

Comments:

#0114: Propose language to address attribute-based federation

Owner: Prateek Mishra

Assigned: 19 Jan 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-01-20 03:22 GMT

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200312/msg00064.html

#0105: Respond to IBM Analysis Paper

Owner:

Assigned: 19 Jan 2004

Due: ---

Comments:
Prateek Mishra 2004-01-19 23:09 GMT
- [ACTION] Scott & Tony to make recommendations based on IBM security
analysis paper