Subject: RE: [security-services] Additional suggestions for naming changes

> From: Eve L. Maler [mailto:Eve.Maler@Sun.COM]
>
> Attribute -> Attrib or Att
>
> I'm not sure what to think of this one.  It would affect a
> lot of things; I haven't listed them all yet.  I frequently
> truncate them when writing them out, with "attrib" being more
> identifiable; I would tend to say "att" and not "attrib" when
> speaking, but would rarely say either one.  Note that we've
> now truncated its two companions, Authn and AuthzDecision.

I'm much more accustomed to seeing (and using) "attr" as the abbreviation for attribute.

There are days when I wish, years ago, we had picked "authr" rather than "authz" as the abbreviation for "authorization", but it's too deeply embedded now. Maybe it's just that whole "zee" versus "zed" thing we have up here...

> Assertion -> Assn
>
> (Notice I didn't suggest "Ass." :-)  I don't particularly
> like this one; I frequently write it in truncated form, but
> since assertions are so essential to the SAML model, I'm
> reluctant to take away its "dignity".  I haven't listed all
> the places affected.

"Assn" is commonly used to abbreviate "Association"; I'd rather not overload it. I'm also reluctant to abbreviate this one.

 - irving -