Subject: RE: [security-services] RE: AuthenticationMethod / NameIdentifier and Kerberos authentication

John,

I will try and help.

The Kerberos protocol is (as you know) defined in IETF RFC1510, however
(you probably didn't know) it is now defined in a IETF draft called
Kerberos clarifications which obsoletes RFC1510 (see
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-clarifica
tions-05.txt). Our documentation needs to reference this correctly.

Anyway, if you look at http://www.ietf.org/ids.by.wg/krbwg.html you will
see various drafts are being worked on at present within IETF Kerberos
Working Group. The one of interest is the pre authentication framework
which Sam Hartman is progressing. In this document it describes pre
authentication as "a mechanism for proving the identity of a principal
and for better protecting the long-term secret of the principal."

To help you understand - pre authentication is optional, but
recommended. For normal password based authentication it is common to
use an encrypted timestamp as the pre-authentication method to further
improve the security of the authentication request. Most people use
Kerberos authentication and don't realise that the pre-authentication is
occurring - e.g. when you logon to a Windows Active Directory domain you
are using a pre-auth method with timestamp to help prove your identity
and reduce chance of replay attacks etc.

So, each Internet draft (e.g. use of smart cards for authentication with
Kerberos (PKINIT), use of two-factor authentication tokens, use of one
time password etc.) describes the pre-authentication method which should
be used and describes the pre-authentication type. The pre-auth type is
a unique number which is currently not stored anywhere centrally, so
each draft has to be referenced to find the pre-auth type, but in future
IANA registry will be used to refer to the type number for a particular
pre-auth method.

I propose that we store the pre-auth type somewhere in the
authentication context since it allows us to determine how strong the
authentication was, or what method was used in addition to knowing that
Kerberos was used with a password.

I hope this is clearer ?

If any doubts or questions please let me know.

Thanks, Tim.