Subject: RE: [security-services] RE: AuthenticationMethod / NameIdentifier and Kerberos authentication

Tim, inline

>Paul,
>
>You make a good point regarding the KDC making available the pre-auth
>type - the simple answer is 'NO'. I have outlined what I think would
>happen so that we can agree whether this is possible, or not.
>
>1. A Kerberos client exchanges as-req and as-rep with KDC
>resulting in a
>tgt (ticket granting ticket) being issued and stored in cache on
>Kerberos client machine. This exchange will have involved a form of
>pre-authentication (e.g. encrypted timestamp, pkinit differ-helman
>exchange, token challenge etc.) or none (not advisable, but possible).

If I understood your earlier mail correctly, for each authentication
mechanism there is an associated pre-auth mechansim (e.g. password has
encrypted timestamp). If that is the case (and if the relationship is
1-to-1) then why would not specifying the actual authentication mechanism be
sufficient.

>2. Once the tgt is available on Kerberos client machine only the client
>machine and the KDC know whether this tgt was obtained using
>pre-authetnication, and if so, what type was used during the as-req and
>as-rep exchange.

So, when the TGT gets presented back to the TGS in order to get a ticket for
authentication to the SAML Server, could the TGS insert the auth/pre-auth
info into the ticket at that point? If the auth information makes it into
the ticket then the SAML server can extract it from there.

>3. If we want to store the pre-auth type in the SAML assertion (hence,
>this discussion) we need to find a way to pass the pre-auth type from
>the Kerberos client machine to the SAML authority as well as the
>principal name and other information (e.g. tgt lifetime). I understood
>that this would be passed in the AuthnRequest ? Is this correct ?

I don't think its an AuthnRequest, if the Kerberos client is presenting a
ticket to the SAML server and getting back an assertion then this is the
'credential collectors' use case

Paul