Subject: RE: [security-services] Stateless Conformity To SAML

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Cantor [mailto:cantor.2@osu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 7:11 PM
To: 'Beach, Michael C'; security-services@lists.oasis-open.org

> But even if I did, so what? I don't see how conformance to a protocol says
> anything about the way the implementation does or doesn't manage data. In
> other words, I think I can implement a conformant product that doesn't
> internally handle all this in any but the most rudimentary way, and that I
> wouldn't expect anyone to use in practice. So does that make the claim of
> support for the protocol worthless?

"Worthless" may be a bit strong, but absolutely believe that it significantly
undermines conformance claims overall.  To stub out processing of the protocol
would get you a pass on a (as of yet non-existent) conformance test, but it
does the customer no good.

This isn't to suggest that conformance claims guarantee the customer of a
useful product, but it should at least suggest the vendor's intentions.  And
here is a case where we would be pressing vendors to claim conformance to
something they may have no intention of really leveraging.

--
Steve Anderson
OpenNetwork