Subject: RE: [security-services] Stateless Conformity To SAML

Many of us consuming companies are working hard toward centralized
identity management and therefore much prefer the "cause to be stored"
approach over the "stored" approach.  Also, many of us are very
concervative when it comes to what mechanisms we will allow to write to
our "stores".  So I see us being cautious about turning on NameIDMapping
functionality (although I expect we will see applicable scenarios as our
deployment expands).

So, if as Scott suggests as a deployer I have the option to negociate
NameIDMapping out-of-band, and as the Core spec allows I can return a
status of InvalidNameIDPolicy I can see this working for us.  Of course,
the negative is if NameIDMapping is MTI, and we chose not to use our
vendor's implementation of that, we will still pay for it in the end.

For those "cause to be stored" implementations, I see a bit vague
separation of duty between the implementor responsibilities and deployer
responsibilities.  Also, how a functional NameIDMapping actually works
on the backend in the "cause to be stored" environment may vary
substantially.  Seems an implementor needs to allow for the "stubbed
out" NameIDMapping function, but at the same time I don't think we want
to declare an implementation that is nothing more than a stub out
(always returning an InvalidNameIDPolicy) to be declared conformant.
Gee...so what exactly does the conformant implementor have to do in a
"cause to be stored" solution when I won't let him/her write to my
store?  Suppose I just turn it off and the implementation always returns
invalid.  Appears in the "cause to be stored" environment the real
functionality in NameIDMapping is outside of the spec.

Mike